One day the sheep will go back to the crag,
the ox to the forest
and the boar to the oak-wood,
no more shrieks of anguish from the dark, packed sheds
that squat like Sobibors in English fields.
Note: Sobibor – from Wikipedia:
Sobibor was a Nazi German extermination camp located on the outskirts of the village of Sobibór, Lublin Voivodeship of occupied Poland as part of Operation Reinhard; the official German name was SS-Sonderkommando Sobibor. Situated near the rural county’s only major town of Włodawa (Wolzek in the Germanic approximation), the camp was also informally known as Wolzek. Jews from Poland, France, Germany, the Netherlands, and Czechoslovakia, as well as Soviet prisoners of war (POWs) (many of them Jewish), were transported to Sobibor by rail, and suffocated in gas chambers that were fed with the exhaust of a petrol engine. One source states that up to 200,000 people were killed at Sobibor. Thomas Blatt claims that “In the Hagen court proceedings against former Sobibor Nazis, Professor Wolfgang Scheffler, who served as an expert, estimated the total figure of murdered Jews at a minimum of 250,000.”
After a successful revolt on October 14, 1943 about half of the 600 workforce-prisoners in Sobibor escaped and around 50 evaded recapture. Shortly after the revolt, the camp was closed, bulldozed, and planted-over with pine trees to conceal its location. A memorial and museum are at the site today.